Meet 24-year-old female Nigerian graduate living the life as a carpenter

Omotayo Lasaki is a graduate of University of Lagos and has attained success by venturing into carpentry. She is the CEO of Tayasaki Interiors Limited (an interior décor company that produces and finishes all kinds of furniture), operating in the heart of Lagos.

There is a saying that goes thus “what a man can do, a woman can do better”. It’s no longer news that women venture into male dominated jobs and businesses as they are going into construction, transport, events management and more related endeavors.

Introduction

My name is Lasaki Omotayo. I am the first of three (3) children; with a boy and a girl. I studied Education Administration at the University of Lagos.

How she started

Let’s say it was divine intervention. I would not have thought to be a carpenter. I have always loved to do things that are handy. The whole thing started when I got a job. Let’s just say the ASUU strike was a blessing in a way. I had to find a job during the strike at University of Lagos. I got a job in Lekki then. They were into making wooding doors and I was working as a PA to the MD
and Marketer for the company. The factory of the company was far from the office and because of this I did not get enlightened on the process of manufacturing. It was then I decided to learn carpentry and
manufacture my own furniture. That was how I ventured into Tayasaki.

Did education influence her career
choice?

Education did not influence my career choice, but if I did not go school, I may have not been able to speak well and communicate properly with my clients.
Taking it from primary to secondary and tertiary education come to play here because to learn speak from basic education.

What it takes to begin

When I started my business, I didn’t have capital. I was just a random broke person. I needed to be registered but I did not have enough to be registered then. So I was on
the level of being “road side”, which was to talk to people on what I can do and they pay me. I didn’t need any documentation.

Challenges faced so far

Artisans are quite difficult to work with. To manage and control artisans is a lot of work. The business is growing and I can’t do
everything by myself. Doing this, you need to know how to manage artisans. Some of them did not go to any form of education, while some went but did not go all the way.
So understanding may be difficult for some of them.

Advice for the youths

Don’t give up. If you see a dream, work towards it. Whatever drove you into that line of business, always remember it when you are about to give up. That thing should keep pushing you. You have to be persistent.

Last words

My name is Tayo Lasaki and I am a
carpenter. We manufacture doors,
wardrobes, kitchen cabinets and general furniture. You can check our Instagram and Facebook page at tayasaki.interiors.

Comments

Popular Posts